[FRPythoneers] Fabric

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Mon Jul 9 12:32:34 MDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Peter Lyons <pete at peterlyons.com> wrote:

> Anyone here using the Fabric library?
>
> http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.4.2/tutorial.html
>
> Looks handy. Just wondering if anyone has tried it out for anything
> non-trivial.

I have a client that runs a blogging network, and all their sites are
Wordpress sites.  I deploy new sites by creating a single new task.  I use
it to instantly clear caches, reset sessions, etc.  Basically, I don't work
on those sites outside of fabric.  My setup is pretty non-trivial.

I like the idea of puppet, where you can keep track of configurations and
such, but it requires that you install puppet on the boxes, and if you want
to create master/slave, new boxes are a bit less easy to start up.  Fabric
runs from your client, so you just have to have your configs and fabric
installed on your machine.  If I could get puppet's config management in
Fabric, it would be a pretty awesome solution.

Cheers,
Paul