[FRPythoneers] Fabric

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 07:50:06 MDT 2012

Yeah, I've used it a bunch, mostly for duplicating dev environments
across multiple servers (and for deploying to multiple VMs with
VirtualBox and/or Vagrant). For the Python adept, it can provide a
basis for quite a nice poor-person's configuration management tool...
which is nice, since that means one doesn't have to deal with Ruby in
Chef or Puppet's config language.

Doug Hellmann and I started using it for local dev OpenStack deploys
earlier this year and most of that work is here:
  https://github.com/dreamhost/dreamstack-deploy

We did end up getting pulled away on other tasks, and the Ops
department has finally caught up to us, so they're getting Chef set up
to do what we need... but I still prefer Fabric :-) If I had the time,
I'd start working on a general config management tool for Pythonistas,
taking advantage of Fabric, RabbitMQ/ZeroMQ, and a nosql db ...