[FRPythoneers] Talkin bout twisted

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Thu Nov 10 16:21:27 MST 2011

On 10/5/11 11:04 AM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Chris Perkins<chris at percious.com>  wrote:
>> I think Duncan McGregor works for canonical and might have some
>> interesting topics to express.
> I *used* to work for Canonical :-) (see the latest post here:
> http://oubiwann.blogspot.com/2011/10/two-months-at-bluelibris.html)
>
> But yes, we used Twisted extensively at Canonical. Jim Baker may have
> even been doing some interesting things with it in the server team,
> and I think he's still on this list.
>
> Landscape, Canonical's proprietary deployment management system was
> originally written in Zope 3 (and still uses it), but when we started
> doing cloud work, we refactored to use Twisted and a RabbitMQ-based
> comet solution. As you can imagine, it was quite a complicated (but
> enormously effective) architecture.

...I guess I can pipe in here and add more.

Canonical is using twisted all over the place.  When you push a bzr
branch to Launchpad, for instance, you're hitting an SSH server written
in Twisted that handles auth and writing to the filesystem.  Ubuntu
One's cloud sync is entirely twisted (and is *the* reason that twisted
is installed by default on all Ubuntu desktops).

Cheers,
Paul