[FRPythoneers] Non-web python contract work?

Greg Holling greg at holling-co.com
Fri Jan 29 16:02:55 MST 2010

David -

Here are a few suggestions:

(1) Scientific & analytical computing, including aerospace & biotech
(2) Test engineering
(3) Hardware devices & device controllers, embedded development

Having said that, though, your observation about Python popularity in
web projects is correct.  Many Python projects have a web component,
even if it's not the primary focus.  Even if you don't want to be a
"pure" web developer, you'll be more marketable and have an easier
time locating contract work (and potentially be able to charge higher
rates) if you take the effort to familiarize yourself with Django or
one of the competing frameworks.  The same comments apply to sysadmin
work; if you're working with small or startup companies, you may wind
up doing sysadmin, non-web, and web development on the same project.

It's difficult enough to find contract work without artificially
limiting yourself.

Greg