[FRPythoneers] using ipython with virtualenv

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Wed Sep 3 15:08:29 MDT 2008

Yo, local experts on ipython and virtualenv....

I used virtualenv to set up some beta packages so I can play with
them.  Thanks to Chris for turning me on to it:

 http://www.showmedo.com/videos/video?name=2910000&fromSeriesID=291

But playing with plain old python is no fun now that I know ipython.

Unfortunately, the way that virtualenv sets things up (which seems to
involve a custom version of the python executable) seems to be ignored
when I run ipython.

Two web references I've looked at suggest installing ipython inside virtualenv:

 http://groups.google.com/group/python-virtualenv/browse_thread/thread/ccf36006369c2013

That seems sub-optimal - I want to use the normal ubuntu ipython
package, rather than installing it inside every virtualenv I create.
I wonder if you all have better advice.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/