[FRPythoneers] Perlin noise library 1.0b1 released

Casey Duncan casey at pandora.com
Thu Jul 17 22:37:16 MDT 2008

Well I finally got off my duff and released the Perlin noise library
I've been working on (which I showed y'all in the talk last night).

The noise library includes native-code implementations of Perlin
"improved" noise and Perlin simplex noise. It also includes a fast
implementation of Perlin noise in GLSL, for use in OpenGL shaders. The
shader code and many of the included examples require Pyglet (http://www.pyglet.org
), the native-code noise functions themselves do not, however.

The Perlin improved noise functions can also generate fBm (fractal
Brownian motion) noise by combining multiple octaves of Perlin noise.
Functions for convenient generation of turbulent noise are also
included.

Get it here:
Pypi: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/noise
Google Code (svn): http://code.google.com/p/caseman/

If you have absolutely no idea what this is for, have a look here for
some background:
http://www.noisemachine.com/talk1/

Then install it (and Pyglet) and try the examples (planet.py and
bump.py in particular), or alternately I have some screenshots on my
blog: http://eatthedots.blogspot.com

Enjoy.

-Casey