[FRPythoneers] Hi Folks -- Anyone interested in a Pyglet presentation?

Casey Duncan casey at pandora.com
Mon Jul 14 23:02:11 MDT 2008

I haven't used Panda3D, though my impression of it is that it is a
fairly high-level framework/engine. I have used pygame and would be
happy to make comparisons. Pyglet is something like the functionality
of pygame plus PyOpenGL. It is definitely a lower-level library like
pygame, as opposed to a game engine. Like pygame, pyglet is intended
as a library for building portable Python media applications (i.e.,
games, movie players, sound apps, etc).

Pyglet is designed to be highly portable across platforms like pygame,
but with absolutely minimal dependancies. In fact you don't need to
compile anything to run it from source. pygame is built on SDL, a
portable 2D graphics library. pyglet leverages OpenGL for 2D graphics
and provides abstractions for working with it. It exposes the OpenGL
API via ctypes for 3D use, it does not yet provide any high level 3D
API, though there is some highly useful "experimental" code, such as a
3D model loader that supports .obj files (wavefront) and GLSL shader
support.

Because pyglet uses OpenGL, it can take full advantage of the hardware
acceleration present on modern graphics cards. pygame for 2D use (via
SDL) performs most of the graphics work on the CPU, and has very
limited hardware acceleration at present. pygame is much more mature
than pyglet, and though pyglet is quite stable, it lacks all of the
features that pygame has, though it is gaining ground quickly.

My presentation centers around creating a simple 3D app from scratch
in Pyglet and assumes no prior knowledge of pyglet or pygame. A little
OpenGL knowledge could be helpful, but it's very basic so even lacking
that you should still be able to follow. After showing off how to make
a basic app, I show some more advanced 3D apps I made, a 3D fractal
terrain generator and a simple helicopter flight sim (that uses the
terrain generator).

Since I made these, I've also been working on a Perlin noise library
(for procedural content generation), and I'm currently writing a
particle engine for pyglet. I'd be happy to show those off as well 8^)

-Casey