[FRPythoneers] Sprint this Saturday? Web page updated.

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Wed Jan 2 10:42:14 MST 2008

Neal,

Thanks for doing this! Actually, we're planning a sprint for the weekend of
Jan 12-13 in the bivio offices. It will be on TurboGears, as part of the
world-wide sprint being planned:
http://compoundthinking.com/blog/index.php/2007/12/21/january-turbogears-sprint/

This would be an excellent opportunity to learn the TG internals with your
fellow sprinters! I'm planning to work on TG2, specifically Genshi on
Jython. They say it's not possible, it's only for CPython ;). So we will
see, but if we factor out the nonportable stuff, I think it can be done
reasonably.

And for what it's worth, a useful version of Django on Jython is now
working, as of late last night. This is based on work done for two previous
Pythoneers sprints. You need my "modern" branch of
Jython<http://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jython/branches/>,
the Django trunk, two patches to
Django<http://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jython/trunk/sandbox/jbaker/>that
will be hopefully be in place soon, and a backend compatible with
Jython's zxJDBC client. We currently have a PostgreSQL
backend<http://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jython/trunk/sandbox/jbaker/django/db/backends/postgresql_zxjdbc/>,
and others are likely soon. I also expect that modern will be merged into
trunk as soon as we one last regression test passes. This work also
consolidates bugs, patches, and workarounds from many people, including
local Pythoneers.

Modern passes a reasonable swath of the Django unit tests, and runs the
Django admin. Examples of unit tests that are currently failing include:

File "modeltests/or_lookups/models.py", line ?, in
modeltests.or_lookups.models.__test__.API_TESTS
Failed example:
    list(Article.objects.filter(Q(headline__startswith='Hello'),
Q(headline__contains='bye')).values())
Expected:
    [{'headline': u'Hello and goodbye', 'pub_date': datetime.datetime(2005,
11, 29, 0, 0), 'id': 3}]
Got:
    [{'id': 3, 'headline': u'Hello and goodbye', 'pub_date':
datetime.datetime(2005, 11, 29, 0, 0)}]

I need to look at this, but based on previous experience, this looks like a
buggy unit test, with dependency on hash ordering. (Certain tests out there
expect that a traversal of a dictionary is random [sort of], but repeatable.
If Jython adopts ConcurrentHashMap for dict, as in modern, this is no longer
the case.) So not bad at all.

- Jim

On Jan 2, 2008 9:48 AM, Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us> wrote:

> Although we are very active, our web page was looking out-of-date, so
> I updated it with the last quarter of meeting and sprints.
>
>  http://wiki.python.org/moin/FrontRangePythoneers
>
> So what is up this Saturday - a sprint?
>
> Are folks recharged with fresh ideas for the new year?  What ideas
> came up at the meeting last month?
>
> Happy New Year,
>
> Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Jim Baker