[FRPythoneers] Turbgears2 sprint

Christopher Perkins chris at percious.com
Thu Feb 21 14:45:41 MST 2008

All,

I wanted to remind you about the Turbogears2 Sprint happening on Saturday,
Feb 23rd at Bivio Software on Iris and 28th.

In case you don't already know, Turbogears is a wildly popular web
framework based on a modular Model/View/Controller (MVC) design.
Turbogears2 builds on those concepts, but is using Pylons to handle all of
the lower level server interactions.

Here is a rough overview of the work that is going to be going on:

        * Pylons (add comments and improve docstrings) * Make WebOb and
WebTest work with Pylons well enough that TG2 can switch to them.
        * Routes (optional component) -- Work is underway on a
rewrite/replacement for Routes, see the Routes wiki space. ;)
        * ToscaWidgets (docs) -- ToscaWidgets needs to be documented --
this is currrently the biggest hole in the docs. twAjaxTools needs
to be ported to Pylons. This is a barrier for DBSprockets 0.3.
        * Beaker testing -- it would be good to have another dev or two
working on Beaker so that we're not in trouble if Ben wins the
lottery.
        * DBSprockets/DBMechanic -- DBMechanic provides a clear way
forward for competing with the django Admin intrerface.
        * Buffet -- It would be good to streamline the way that buffet
rendering engines are setup in pylons, and there are some
longstanding issues with buffet that Mike Orr has been working on.
        * WebHelpers (Pylons) -- Overhaul it. See WebHelpers ideas.
        * Paginate -- merge TurboGears and Pylons implementations. Pylons
beta version; Demo.
        * Migrate for SQLAlchemy
        * Pylons/TurboGears 2 on Jython
http://wiki.python.org/jython/PylonsOnJython

And here is a link with more information.  If you plan to attend, please
add your name to the list.
http://docs.turbogears.org/SprintOrganization?highlight=%28sprint%29

This is a great way to advance your knowledge of web frameworks and give
back to the open source community.

Hope to see you there,
chris