[FRPythoneers] NetCDF question

Jim Cook cook_jim at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 16:45:38 MST 2008

Hi,

I'd like to use the NetCDF capabilities of the Scientific.IO module, but I'm running into problems when importing, as follows:

>>> import Scientific.IO.NetCDF
Fatal Python error: can't initialize module Scientific_netcdf
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

I haven't been able to find any help on the Scientific Python site.

I downloaded the netcdf.dll from Unidata and placed it in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory, as specified on the Unidata download page.  The file I downloaded was netcdf-3.6.1-win32.zip, and the netcdf.dll it contains is dated 3/7/2006.  I'm running Python 2.5 on WinXP.

I'd sure appreciate hearing from anyone with experience using the NetCDF module.

Many thanks,

::  Jim Cook | cook_jim at yahoo.com | Denver Colorado  ::