[FRPythoneers] Hello

Jeff Wright JWright at azteknetworks.net
Sun Aug 17 11:09:04 MDT 2008

I guess I may as well introduce myself also.  I'm Jeff Wright, and I head up the System Test department at Aztek Networks.  I only got interested in Python maybe 3 months ago.

I'm currently using Python to automate tests we run here against our telecom products.  I've been on a search for the "holy grail" of scripting languages for perhaps the past 3 years - I've tried everything from C, C++ and Java to Tcl, Perl, php and Ruby - and it wasn't until I found Python that I finally feel that I might have a candidate that will work for me.  My criteria are:

- easy to use and maintain
- understandable syntax (sorry, Perl and Tcl)
- easy to interface w/ a user (sorry, C); either CLI or GUI
- support for threads/multiple processes (sorry php)
- quick to get off the ground (sorry C, C++ and Java)
- Support for either procedural or OO based programming methodologies (sorry, Ruby)

Anyway, I've managed to make my way through "Dive into Python and "Learning Python," and am about halfway through the meaty tome that is "Programming Python."  I've also skimmed through the Python Cookbook.  Of course all this book knowledge doesn't mean my code is any good but with every new module I write, I learn.  :-0  I've written a couple basic off-the-cuff scripts to do various things in our lab, and I am just putting the finishing touches on my first 'major' effort, which automates the execution of a SIP-based test product.

Looking forward to meeting others.

Jeffrey Wright
System Test Engineering Manager
Aztek Networks, Inc.