[FRPythoneers] Call for Proposals for PyCon 2008 and more

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Wed Oct 17 04:41:32 MDT 2007

Tonight's Pythoneers meeting <http://python.meetup.com/180/?gj=sj2> at bivio
Software would be an excellent opportunity to try out any ideas for PyCon
2008. The call for talks
<http://pycon.blogspot.com/2007/10/call-for-talk-tutorial-proposals.html>went
out on Monday:

Lightning Talk Potluck!

We'll have as many short presentations as we can muster, in the style of
PyCon's "Lightning Talks." We may put you on the spot, so please come
prepared to say at least three sentences on some tech topic that interests
you.

We will have free food & drink & lively discussion as usual.

A quick update on last month's talk on Jython. I'm currenty in Linköping,
Sweden <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link%25C3%25B6ping>, to work on the
Jython 2.5 compiler with Tobias Ivarsson. It's been a whirlwind trip. I can
also report that if you are interested in following the Jython "newcompiler"
work, it's now in a form that might be actually usable. You can try checking
out the branch<https://jython.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jython/branches/newcompiler/>,
then building as usual <http://wiki.python.org/jython/JythonDeveloperGuide>.
In this preliminary version of Jython, you can now run

import pycimport
# then import any desired modules that are *.pyc (CPython bytecode-compiled
files)

As with other import hooks, this process is recursive, which is the
important change here, because it allows much more extensive testing of the
capabilities of the new compiler.

--
Jim Baker
jbaker at zyasoft.com