[FRPythoneers] Monday 3/26, Dean Leffingwell "Scaling Software Agility"

Alex Viggio aviggio at bivio.biz
Tue Mar 20 18:10:12 MDT 2007

On Monday, March 26th, Agile Denver will host guest speaker Dean
Leffingwell who will present on "Scaling Software Agility: Best
Practices for Large Enterprises". The meeting will be held at the PPA
Event Center near Downtown Denver. The doors will open at 6:00pm for
networking and refreshments.

Agile development practices, while still controversial in some circles,
offer undeniable benefits: faster time to market, better responsiveness
to changing customer requirements, and higher quality. However, agile
practices have been defined and recommended primarily to small teams. In
Scaling Software Agility, Dean Leffingwell describes how agile methods
can be applied to enterprise-class development.

Part I provides an overview of the most common and effective agile
methods.

Part II describes seven best practices of agility that natively scale to
the enterprise level.

Part III describes an additional set of seven organizational
capabilities that companies can master to achieve the full benefits of
software agility on an enterprise scale.

This presentation will be valuable to software developers, testers and
QA personnel, managers and team leads, as well as to executives of
software organizations whose objective is to increase the quality and
productivity of the software development process but who are faced with
all the challenges of developing software on an enterprise scale.

This presentation is based on Dean's new book by the same name recently
published by Addison-Wesley. A few copies of the book will be raffled
off at the meeting.

Comments about Scaling Software Agility:

"Companies have been implementing large agile projects for a number of
years, but the 'stigma' of 'agile only works for small projects'
continues to be a frequent barrier for newcomers and a rallying cry for
agile critics. What has been missing from the agile literature is a
solid, practical book on the specifics of developing large projects in
an agile way. Dean Leffingwell's book Scaling Software Agility fills
this gap admirably. It offers a practical guide to large project issues
such as architecture, requirements development, multi-level release
planning, and team organization. Leffingwell's book is a necessary guide
for large projects and large organizations making the transition to
agile development."

- Jim Highsmith, director, Agile Practice, Cutter Consortium, author of
Agile Project Management

"There's tension between building software fast and delivering software
that lasts, between being ultra-responsive to changes in the market and
maintaining a degree of stability. In his latest work, Scaling Software
Agility, Dean Leffingwell shows how to achieve a pragmatic balance among
these forces. Leffingwell's observations of the problem, his advice on
the solution, and his description of the resulting best practices come
from experience: he's been there, done that, and has seen what's
worked."

- Grady Booch, IBM Fellow

AGENDA:

6:00 - 6:30 PM  Refreshments, networking and announcements

6:30 - 8:00 PM  Dean Leffingwell presentation

SPEAKER

Dean Leffingwell is a renowned software development methodologist,
author, and software team coach.

He is the former founder and CEO of Requisite, Inc., and a former vice
president at Rational Software. During the last five years, Mr.
Leffingwell has applied his experience as an independent consultant and
advisor/methodologist to Rally Software and to the challenge of
implementing agile methods at large distributed, multinational
corporations.

Mr. Leffingwell is also the lead author of the popular text, Managing
Software Requirements (Addison-Wesley, 2003).

SPONSOR

The March 2007 meeting is sponsored by Net Objectives.

---
Our mission at Net Objectives is to assist companies in maximizing the
business value returned from their efforts in software development and
maintenance.

We do this by providing training, coaching, and consulting that both
directly assists and empowers our customers to create and sustain this
ability.

We specialize in agile development. We focus on:

* Effective project management using Lean, Agile, Scrum and XP practices
* Effective requirements elicitation with use-cases
* Effective architecture with design patterns
* Effective coding with test-driven-development and emergent design
* Effective teams by assisting all roles in working together
* How all of the above tie together using Lean Principles, Agile
Processes, and Best Development Practices.

We offer a complete range of services including:
* Consulting
* Coaching and mentoring
* On-site training
* Public courses

We believe a combination of mentoring and training results in more
effective knowledge transfer than either can by itself. Our goal is not
only to assist development teams in learning cutting-edge disciplines
but also to train your team leaders to continue the mentoring process
themselves.
---

Net Objectives will be teaching two public courses at the PPA Event
Center in April. They have a Design Patterns Explained course for
developers coming up on April 17-19, and a Lean-Agile Testing course for
QA and testers coming up on April 24-25.

They will also hold a seminar on April 18 called "Design Patterns in an
Agile (even XP) Environment - The Object Pool".

See http://www.netobjectives.com/ for more information.

DIRECTIONS

We will be meeting at the PPA Event Center near downtown Denver. The
Event Center address is 2105 Decatur Street, Denver, Colorado 80211.
Parking is free and their is a nearby bus stop that is a 10 minute bus
ride from downtown. For directions see the MapQuest link or the PPA site
below, or call (303) 433-8247 for additional details.

http://tinyurl.com/2ntynq (map)

http://www.dppa.com/EventCenter/Directions.htm

. A G I L E D E N V E R .

http://www.agiledenver.org