[FRPythoneers] Jython Sprint - this Saturday, February 3

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Mon Jan 29 17:58:23 MST 2007

We've been planning to do a second Jython
sprint<http://wiki.python.org/moin/JythonSprint>this coming Saturday
(Feb 3). But what should we work on?

There are a number of possibilities - not mutually exclusive:

Focus on supporting select with Java NIO. Paul Kennedy made substantial
progress <http://www.nabble.com/Jython-Roadmap-tf3047512.html> in getting
select <http://www.xhaus.com/alan/python/jynio/select.html> to work,
presumably based on some earlier work by Brian
Zimmer<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=8079637>,
but this has stalled. Given the dependency by other networking modules on
select, a stable, production ready version of select would pay great
dividends.

Language update to 2.5. This was the focus of the last sprint. Advantages of
this is that there's not a lot of work going on in this part of Jython,
there are relatively few files, and language compatibility with CPython
would allow some of the interesting apps out there to run on Jython. It's
also pretty interesting work.

Jython Roadmap <http://www.nabble.com/Jython-Roadmap-tf3047512.html>development.
I see this as orthogonal to the language changes, in part because this is
how CPython development has happened. Given that this is the focus of the
Jython committers (including Samuele Pedroni, Frank Wierzbicki, and Charlie
Groves), it probably makes sense to not work on this.

Interesting applications. I like the REPL shell that Jython already
provides. Augmenting this to IPython's power would be compelling, as Eric
Dobbs just pointed out to me. What else would be useful - but not as
involved as say Django - to get running on Jython?

- Jim