[FRPythoneers] Reminder: Pythoneers Monthly Meeting - Tonight, January 17

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 00:25:18 MST 2007

Hi Jim,

On 1/18/07, Jim Baker <jbaker at zyasoft.com> wrote:

>  Well I too was very happy with last night's meeting!
>
>  And now on to the next. Given that PyCon immediately follows our next
> meeting (Wednesday, February 21), I'd like to suggest that we schedule
> speakers who are presenting at PyCon. They can practice on us, and those who
> can't go can also benefit. Would this be of interest? Any volunteers?

That sounds great.  Brian and I have two talks scheduled at Pycon, and
one is more or less what Brian already presented.  The other one is
more of a description/demo of ipython's existing core functionality
for new users; I'd be happy to present that and it would be very
useful for Brian and me.  Since I can't go to pycon personally, this
will force me to prepare it in due time and present it, so Brian can
get all the details for presenting it later at Pycon.

So if you can book me a 30 min. slot, I'd be delighted to do some
(more) ipython evangelism there ;)

>  Also, we can talk about how the Jython sprint went, which is to be held on
> February 3. Personally, I really like the idea of then having an IPython1
> sprint (tentative date: Saturday, March 3). Locally, we have quite a few
> people who have worked on Twisted, decorators, and other functionality.
> Others have a significant background in parallel computing.  And still
> others would like to learn how to use them effectively too. So this would be
> a great opportunity to do so.

The ipython sprint is something we (Brian and I) would certainly love
to lead.  My /personal/ opinion is that waiting for the month after
might work a little better.  Right now we've just committed some
pieces of low-level infrastructure that will make external
contributions easier, but there's a few more of those needed.  I think
that if we wait a few more weeks (with Pycon around, March 3 sounds a
bit tight for me), we'll have a project where it will be much easier
for new developers to come in, feel like the foundations are
reasonably in place and they can contribute productively.

so if you have no objections, I'd propose the ipython sprint for
April.  At that point, we'd be happy to lead it, propose ideas on our
wiki, etc.  And we'll make sure that  by then, things are in place in
the code to make the sprint both fun and productive for everyone
involved.

Cheers,