[FRPythoneers] Reminder: Pythoneers Monthly Meeting - Tonight, January 17

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Wed Jan 17 12:27:55 MST 2007

Tonight (January 17) we're having our monthly meeting for the Front
Range Pythoneers. This should be a great kickoff for the new year.

Here are the meeting specifics:

    * /Time/: Tonight, 6-8 PM
    * /Location/: Churchill Navigation
      <http://www.churchillnavigation.com>, in their spiffy new office
      at 100 Arapahoe Ave, Suite 10, all the way at the end, in Boulder,
      Colorado. Google Maps link
      <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=100+Arapahoe+Ave,+Suite+10+Boulder+CO+80302&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=40.012792,-105.297904&spn=0.017289,0.05064&om=1&iwloc=addr>.
      There is abundant parking. It's warming up, you could also try
      kayaking in.
    * /Sundry Needs/: Food & drink will be available.

We have some great demos scheduled for tonight:

    * Tom Churchill and Vinny Fiano will demo Churchill Navigation's
      <http://www.churchillnavigation.com> earth-rendering engine (which
      looks like Google Earth, only apparently even better and faster ;)
      ). Vinny (their main Python guy) will explain how they built the
      glue logic (and why they decided against SWIG) and perhaps some of
      the implications of using Python as a scripting language in a
      real-time (60 fps) environment, and the techniques we employed to
      keep the graphics pipeline from stalling when making an expensive
      call into their engine from Python.
    * Brian Granger from Tech-X <http://txcorp.com/> will help us think
      more deeply about concurrent Python programming, especially as
      seen in a new version of IPython
      <http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/IPython1> he has been working on.

In addition to the demos, you can expect our usual lively discussion of
Python features, tips & techniques, and directions. We will also talk
about the upcoming BoulderSprint
<http://wiki.python.org/moin/BoulderSprint> on Jython to be held on
Saturday, February 3.

Hope to see you there!