[FRPythoneers] Pythoneers Monthly Meeting - This Wednesday, January 17

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Sun Jan 14 21:55:02 MST 2007

This coming Wednesday (January 17) we are having our monthly meeting for
the Front Range Pythoneers. Come join a lively discussion of Python
demos, features, tips & techniques, and directions, both for fun and
professional development.

Here are the meeting specifics. You may notice it's all been rescheduled
from last month's canceled meeting:

    * /Status/: *Always on *(excepting major blizzards and other
      calamities!)
    * /Date/time/: Every 3rd Wednesday, 6-8 PM
    * /Location/: Churchill Navigation
      <http://www.churchillnavigation.com>, in their spiffy new office
      at 100 Arapahoe Ave, Suite 10, all the way at the end, in Boulder,
      Colorado. Google Maps link
      <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=100+Arapahoe+Ave,+Suite+10+Boulder+CO+80302&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=40.012792,-105.297904&spn=0.017289,0.05064&om=1&iwloc=addr>.
      There is abundant parking.
    * Tom Churchill and Vinny Fiano will demo Churchill Navigation's
      <http://www.churchillnavigation.com> earth-rendering engine (which
      looks like Google Earth, only apparently even better and faster ;)
      ). Vinny (their main Python guy) will explain how they built the
      glue logic (and why they decided against SWIG) and perhaps some of
      the implications of using Python as a scripting language in a
      real-time (60 fps) environment, and the techniques we employed to
      keep the graphics pipeline from stalling when making an expensive
      call into their engine from Python.
    * Brian Granger from Tech-X <http://txcorp.com/> will help us think
      more deeply about concurrent Python programming, especially as
      seen in a new version of IPython
      <http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/IPython1> he has been working on.
    * BoulderSprint <http://wiki.python.org/moin/BoulderSprint>. We had
      a great JythonSprint <http://wiki.python.org/moin/JythonSprint>,
      focusing on design. Momentum is really building, Jython might
      actually get the love that Charles Oliver Nutter of JRuby
      proposed. More interestingly, there's a chance for people in the
      dynamic language community to work together on JVM
      implementations. We will talk about the next sprint to be held on
      Saturday, February 3.

We will have food & drink available. Hope to see you there!

- Jim