[FRPythoneers] Reminder: Pythoneers Monthly Meeting - Tomorrow (Wed, Feb 21) in Boulder

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Tue Feb 20 15:35:42 MST 2007

Tomorrow (Wednesday, February 21) for the Front Range Pythoneers we have a
line up of PyCon talks. Our presenters will have a chance to practice on
you, while giving you a sneak peek of what will happen in Dallas this
weekend:

   - Fernando Perez will present his joint talk with Brian Granger,
   "IPython: Getting the most out of working interactively in Python":
   IPython <http://ipython.scipy.org/> (if you do not know it yet) is an
   enhanced interactive shell for Python. It provides a large number of
   features not found in the default shell that make interactive work in Python
   more seamless and convenient.
   - Jim Baker will present "Iterators in Action": Using iterators well
   can make your code lean and your programming fun. We will distill current
   best practice by investigating some (mostly) useful examples of iterators in
   action. With the help of itertools and various cookbook recipes, we'll look
   at such examples as computing Six Sigma stats, parsing/collating lots of log
   files, and performing fast prefix lookups of the data your users most want
   to see (assuming you have a good relevancy scorer, of course). We will even
   see why Raymond Hettinger must say no so often :).

Other items to talk about:

   - BoulderSprint <http://wiki.python.org/moin/BoulderSprint>. We had a
   great JythonSprint <http://wiki.python.org/moin/JythonSprint>,
   focusing on getting IPython to work on it. The next sprint will be in April,
   also on IPython.
   - Google Summer of Code <http://code.google.com/soc/>. One of our
   missions is to mentor Pythoneers. Does it make sense to add a local
   component to GSoC 2007 that could take advantage of the universities here?

We will have food & drink available as usual.  We're meeting at bivio
Software <http://www.bivio.biz/>, which is at 28th and Iris in Boulder,
above Hair Elite in Suite S. Google Maps
link<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2701+Iris+Ave.,+Boulder+CO&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1&iwloc=A>
.

Hope to see you tomorrow!
More info: http://wiki.python.org/moin/FrontRangePythoneers