[FRPythoneers] Preferred SOAP libraries?

gweakliem at oddpost.com gweakliem at oddpost.com
Sat Apr 7 11:30:26 MDT 2007

Well, if you look at the ancestry, XML-RPC is what's favored by the dynamic language crowd.  It definitely has its problems, and SOAP 1.0 RPC/encoded is about all that's supported in most SOAP libraries outside of the SUN/IBM/MS world.  Doc/Lit was all the rage for a while, mainly because it looks better on the wire, particularly if your payload is XML - encoded XML is just plain wasteful and hairy to write and parse.  The the whole issue Andrew brings up - SOAP's main attraction was that you didn't need to negotiate with your IT security guys to get the CORBA / DCOM ports opened up (until firewall vendors started stripping SOAPAction HTTP headers... ASP.NET gets very unhappy). HTTP was just incidental, and the fact that every library goes to great lengths to disable caching, keepalives, all the things that make HTTP efficient, that's the evidence.  The SOAP over anything other that HTTP has always been very much hypothetical and rarely put into practice.

WSDL was solving a problem for C++/Java devs and later, C# devs.  I don't know thast the C++ bindings are any better for SOAP, honestly.  Dynamic languages look at WSDL and shrug - another example of the hoops that static typing forces humans to go through.

Of course none of this actually answers the question - what's a good SOAP stack for Python?  Or maybe it does - there really isn't a good SOAP stack, certainly not if you want to do Doc/Lit, which is the default for the .NET and Axis implementations.

--
Gordon Weakliem
http://www.eighty-twenty.net