[FRPythoneers] Preferred SOAP libraries?

Andrew Diederich andrewdied at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 09:19:12 MDT 2007

On Monday, April 2, 2007, 9:41:08 PM, Rob Riggs wrote:

> Web Services (i.e. SOAP 1.2, WS-*) are all the rage in the corporate
> world.  IBM, Sun and MSFT are pushing this hard.  I think they invented
> SOAP for brainwashing software architects.  Personally, I find Python's
> CORBA bindings much more useful for distributed applications.  Try to
> get a C++ or Java programmer excited about writing a CORBA client
> though...  The C++ bindings are horrible.  (Sorry, exiting rant mode now.)

This is where I'm sitting. I tried to use SOAP for some XMPP projects,
and it was cludgy at best.  Our current integrations with partners
always seem to involve a SOAP web service somewhere.  I think the idea
is that the Windows and java tools are fairly good and approximately
equivalent, so use those.  I _don't_ write C# or java, so it's less
helpful for me.

> In any event, Python developers might find SOAP more palatable if it
> weren't for the fact that every SOAP solution available is about 3 years
> behind everyone else.  Most SOAP implementations focus on the server
> side while, in fact, most users of Python have need for robust client
> side tools.

> None of the tools offer a robust solution.

This is also what I've seen.  I don't need to invent the universe from
scratch, I just need to use an existing web service.  Heck, one of the
web services just increments an integer!

The strangest SOAP thing I've tried to do is SOAP over XMPP
(http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0072.html).  The python SOAP
libraries (then just ZSI and SOAPpy, and SOAPpy was dying even then)
were extremely tied to HTTP.  The model used for the XMPP SOAP was the
SOAP over SMTP model, which is apparently not standard and
contentious.  Ah, well.

If I have any success I'll report back to the hive.

--
Best regards,
 Andrew Diederich