[FRPythoneers] Recap of Jam session candidates

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Wed Sep 20 13:42:30 MDT 2006

Kip Lehman wrote:

> At our August meeting some discussion time was devoted to subjects for
> a potential jam session.
>
> Here's the list of candidate topics:
>
>    o - Parsing Apache logs along with cookie and session info

Logging should be reversible, and any parsing should take advantage of
the formatting that is specified. And it would be nice if we could read
the logs created by the standard logging module, for example. Perhaps in
fact, such support out there exists? Or there are best practices to be
shared...
>    o - cross platform means of accessing the system clipboard
>
>    o - GUI to configure/learn config of logging properties files
>
>    o - Survey of popular web frameworks
Here are some topics I'm interested in:

    * Working with large data sets: NetworkX, NumPy, SciPy, CDF, HDF
    * Working around the GIL. It's interesting to see that Sun is
      finally giving Java decent hardware support with 8 core by 8
      thread CPUs! But we have the GIL, which can be rather limiting.
    * Implementing extensions, in C or RPython

Maybe others are interested in them too ;)

>    o - Anything but iterators
>        (these seem to get covered at every open-topic meeting :-)

But, but, but they are so useful! ;)

- Jim