[FRPythoneers] Boulder Sprint: Adding Oracle support to Django

Eric Dobbs eric at dobbse.net
Tue Nov 7 16:07:04 MST 2006

Thanks for the summary Jim.

Here's an outline of what I think my talk would cover at PyCon if it
get's accepted.  Have I missed anything important?  If it does get
accepted can I arrange time with everyone so I can better understand
the parts you worked on?  No rush.  Not even sure if the talk will
get accepted.  I'd like to be able to answer at least a few questions
about all of the specific problems.

Take care.

-Eric

General sprint related technical challenges:

Getting connected to the network -- wireless wasn't working on the
oracle box
Getting the source code, verifying the tests
Getting connected to the oracle database -- account creation,
password dance
Installing database drivers
Getting database connection strings right
Problem specific technical challenges:

Oracle database table creation: not a one-liner like in PostgreSQL &
MySQL
autoincrement column types don't exist -- presently faking it with a
trigger
30 character limit for table names: many_to_many_person_organization
won't work in oracle
Pagination: Oracle doesn't have the convenient OFFSET and LIMIT clauses.
TextFields -- Oracle uses CLOBs for these which can be complicated
Gnarly oracle-specific queries for introspection
General thoughts on the outcome:

We got the test suite running (though failing) by the end of the day.
SUCCESS. Key success factor: we had a django expert, several oracle
experts, and everyone was comfortable with python. Jacob could point
us to the right place in the source tree for a particular feature.
Mitch and Jim could give us the correct SQL for oracle.
What could have made it even better:

assign homework before the sprint - ask for a branch ahead of time -
ask participants to checkout the branch and run the tests (e.g. see
how the tests run against SQLite) - ask participants to try
installing oracle drivers ahead of time Might be hard to make all of
those happen, but the more people who can get the homework done, then
the more time for attacking the problem
Ensuring long term success of oracle support in django:

Mock object tests for the database code. The lead django developers
have PostgreSQL and not Oracle. If we make mock objects for the
database, then they can continue to test any future refactorings or
changes against the SQL oracle expects even without the database.