[FRPythoneers] PyCon 2007 -- who submitted a talk proposal?

Eric Dobbs eric at dobbse.net
Thu Nov 2 11:59:10 MST 2006

Matt Boersma wrote:
> Who else on this list submitted a talk or tutorial proposal?

I submitted two intermediate level talks.  The first on the work I've
been doing for Tech-X, the second a review of this Saturday's
sprint.  The first one was easier to write..., the second one was a
bit vague 'cos the sprint hasn't happened yet.

PyQScimpl: case study in python support for scientific computing

especially useful for scientific computing.

quickly explore some plasma physics simulation data in 2d and 3d
graphs. We'll then briefly discuss various python tools supporting
this work: IPython, NumPy, Pytables, PyQt, PyOpenGL, SIP, generators
and list comprehensions, distutils.

This is a revision of the presentation I gave at SciPy2006:
http://dobbse.net/thinair/2006/08/scipy/

Instead of trying to sell yet-another-graphing-package, this time
around it's about all the different tools that make it inviting to
use python for scientific computing.

Reflections on the django-oracle sprint

developers . We'll discuss social and logistical challenges as well
as some of the technical obstacles overcome.

code sprint to improve support for Oracle in django. Oracle presented
unique challenges for django's object-relational mapping. An eclectic
group of developers gathered in Boulder, CO. Several had programmed
together before, but most hadn't. The topic of the sprint proved
interesting enough to lure Jacob Kaplan-Moss, one of the original
Django developers, out for the event.
We'll discuss some of the social challenges of working intensely with
people you don't know as well as covering some of the nastier
technical problems that had to be overcome.

On Nov 2, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Jim Baker wrote:
> As for mundane topics: I think most of us in our profession accept
> that mundane is what we make of it, not the problem in its own
> right. So you can dazzle us with XRC :), hope this doesn't ratchet
> up the pressure too much.

It's more about the performance than the content.

Conference Presentation Judo: http://perl.plover.com/yak/presentation/
In particular:
http://perl.plover.com/yak/presentation/samples/slide009.html
http://perl.plover.com/yak/presentation/samples/slide010.html

(I liked the rest of the content in that set of slides and the
accompanying commentary.

"hope this doesn't ratchet up the pressure too much."