[FRPythoneers] PyCon 2007 -- who submitted a talk proposal?

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Thu Nov 2 11:09:56 MST 2006

Matt Boersma wrote:
> I submitted mine at the last minute, called "Write Less Code with XRC
> for wxPython."  It's an intermediate-level intro to the XML-based
> resource system in the wxPython GUI toolkit.  It's a pretty mundane
> topic, but my coworkers all encouraged it, and last year lacked
> wxPython talks.
>
> Apparently our chances of having a talk accepted are roughly 50% this
> year:
> http://pycon.blogspot.com/2006/11/proposal-submission-closes.html
> They received 102 proposals, compared to last year's 71.
>
> Who else on this list submitted a talk or tutorial proposal?
I submitted an intermediate talk proposal, "Iterators in Action". This
certainly will not surprise anybody :). I hope this addresses the common
concern of having more talks with a take-away, because I will draw upon
my own and other people's work for examples of iterators "in action",
especially in conjunction with lazy evaluation. I also plan to share
some insight of what I uncovered following the Python-Dev list, various
PEPs, and especially the C code itself as to what is increasingly a
powerful aspect of Python. This should be a nice contrast to the talk
presented by Alex Martelli two years ago, which focused more on new
features in iterators, such as generators.

As for mundane topics: I think most of us in our profession accept that
mundane is what we make of it, not the problem in its own right. So you
can dazzle us with XRC :), hope this doesn't ratchet up the pressure too
much.

- Jim