[FRPythoneers] Packages for HTML generation

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Jul 18 14:06:55 MDT 2006

Andrew Diederich wrote:
> What packages do people use to generate HTML in python?  I have a web
> application written with jsp, and I'm testing out some implementation
> pieces with python.  For starters, though, I was thinking of trying
> out a page or three with something like HTMLgen
> (http://87.106.17.236/crew/friedrich/HTMLgen/html/main.html), which is
> at outlined in Programming Python by O'Reilly.
> I'm starting off with just a single web page, maybe drag in a .css
> sheet, and pass some parameters to an ODBC call to a stored procedure,
> then display the results.  Nothing too incredibly fancy.

I can't believe nobody has responded to this. And I'm probably the worst
person to answer, since I only occasionally use Python these days, and
only occasionally check my Pythoneers mail.

Nonetheless, here are some ideas, in case you're still looking:

   Kid: http://kid.lesscode.org/language.html
   Python Server Pages: http://www.ciobriefings.com/psp/
   TAL (Tag Attribute Language): http://zope.org/

These are basically templating systems. PSP, I believe, is fairly
similar to JSP/ASP/PHP. TAL and Kid are XML-based; TAL is part of Zope
but can be used independently.

Or if you'd like more bells & whistles, here are some "frameworks"
(roughly in ascending order of feature-richness/bloat):

   JOTWeb: http://jotweb.tummy.com/
           (developed by our own Sean Reifschneider ... Sean, where are
            you? Why aren't you plugging your own software?)
   Quixote: http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/
            http://quixote.ca/
   CherryPy: http://www.cherrypy.org/
   Django: http://www.djangoproject.com/
   Twisted: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/
   TurboGears: http://www.turbogears.org/

I have no well-informed comments on any of them, but I have played with
Quixote and TAL, and liked both. TurboGears is not really a separate
project, but is supposed to be an easily usable package built on
existing components (it uses CherryPy and Kid). I tried it out and found
that it was indeed easy to use, but I prefer to have more control over
the architecture of the application.

One other product you might look into is 4Suite:

   http://4suite.org/

It's pretty damn cool if you want to work with XML and complex
information structures. I have been involved with 4Suite development,
and I don't especially like it, but that's a philosophical issue, not a
quality issue. What it does, it does very well.

Good luck!

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :