[FRPythoneers] April 19 Meeting - Kickoff!

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Tue Apr 18 16:58:32 MDT 2006

  Tomorrow, April 19, is our first meeting in a long time:

    * /Status/: *Always on.*
    * /Date/: Every 3rd Wednesday.
    * /Time/: 6-8 PM
    * /Location/: Republic of Boulder. This brew pub is at Canyon and
      11th St, just west of Broadway. They have wifi, happy hour
      pricing, a new "fusion" menu, and free parking
      (http://www.republicofboulder.com).
    * /Format/: OpenSpace :)

I tried to make more formal arrangements for speakers. But no one wanted
to be first, understandably, so we will leave it open for tomorrow's
meeting.

If possible, let's try to use the opportunity tomorrow to discuss
possible topics for informal presentations. I'll just throw out a few of
the things I know people are doing in our community:

    * Web. Can't ignore that! But what can Python uniquely provide here?
      Apparently a lot, given the riches and diversity we have: Twisted,
      Webware servlets, Django, etc., all seem to have their good
      points. But then how to pick?
    * Scientific Computing. CASA and NCAR have high profile Python
      projects. NOAA has made contributions to matplotlib. The SciPy
      conference (http://scipy.org/SciPy2006) is soliciting abstracts,
      due July 7. Our group would be a good place to try out a talk, or
      work out an idea!
    * Network, Systems, Database Management. These are classic apps for
      Python.
    * Education. There are classes in linguistics, AI, and
      bioinformatics/molecular biology at CU. And Mark Lutz in Longmont
      has taught over 160 Python training sessions!
    * Python in the Business. Array Biopharma, Level 3, Seagate,
      BizLogix (my company) are just many of the business users in the area.
    * Text Processing. I'm thinking of Uche's work on 4Suite (thanks!),
      and of course XML and HTML are hugely significant for many/most of us.
    * Cookbook. I'm about to contribute to the cookbook on the use of
      iterator algebra for relational joins. There must be lots of other
      small projects, some actually useful, some just educational
      (mine!), that we could talk about - and maybe provide for some
      quality input there.
    * Other Languages. Perl, Ruby, Haskell, and the like have had
      influences and anti-influences on Python.

Hope to see you there!

- Jim