[FRPythoneers] Pros & cons of Python HTTP servers

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Wed Oct 19 00:50:57 MDT 2005

Michael Olson wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2005, at 6:46 AM, Matt Gushee wrote:
>
>> Wow! Talk about people coming out of the woodwork! Anyway, thanks for
>> all the comments.
>>
>> Michael Olson wrote:
>> ..

We use Apache in front of Twisted, via mod_proxy. Twisted is lightweight
enough, easy to work with if you grok the deferred model, and its model
of one control thread managing async I/O and, in our case,
worker/database threads, seems to work well if resource coordination is
important. In our case, that means shared application caches. Meanwhile,
Apache manages a lot of our policy stuff (mod_expires, mod_rewrite,
etc.), not to mention static content.

But our dependence on Twisted is pretty light, about 700 LOC in a much
larger project. Of course, we are not really using much more than their
database pool, plus HTTP support, although we plan to eventually use the
multiprotocol support that it does so famously.

In contrast, I personally found mod_python to be difficult to develop
for and especially debug with. This was especially true from a
concurrency perspective. But it works OK for simple tasks like auth/authz.

- Jim