[FRPythoneers] Pros & cons of Python HTTP servers

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Oct 18 06:46:07 MDT 2005

Wow! Talk about people coming out of the woodwork! Anyway, thanks for
all the comments.

Michael Olson wrote:

> I can only speak from experience WRT 4Suite.  We added our own http
> server for a couple of reasons.

(Hi, Mike!) Oh yeah, and I guess I was aware of those reasons at one
time. God, I've even been inside the guts of the 4Suite HTTP server--and
I didn't mean to imply it or any of the others weren't well designed. I
was just thinking that, while Apache may not be the best possible Web
server, it's the best we've got and is most often what you want to use
for a production Web site. And sometimes it seems that a lot of effort
goes into making projects work for developers, at the expense of making
them work for the World at Large[tm].

> Given those initial reasons, we wrote our own HTTP server.  Then as
> mod_python progressed we just never got rid of our server and to be
> frank we never spent a lot of time getting/keeping mod_python working.
> The biggest reason for this is that we encoded a lot of our HTTP
> business logic inline when parsing the HTTP request (for performance)
> and found it very difficult to merge this logic into the Apache request
> process (with out duplicating lots of code).

Mmm ... it's stuff like this that led me to believe that developing
projects as large as 4Suite or Zope in Python is not a great idea--how's
that for flame bait? (and no, I would *not* prefer Java, but that's a
whole 'nother story)

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA