[FRPythoneers] Pros & cons of Python HTTP servers

Matt Boersma matt at sprout.org
Mon Oct 17 12:20:57 MDT 2005

On Mon, October 17, 2005 9:00 am, Matt Gushee said:
> I've noticed that every time someone develops a Web development
> framework/toolkit/whatever in Python, they seem to include a
> Python-based HTTP server. Zope did it, 4Suite did too, and now
> TurboGears. And I can't help wondering if that's really a good idea.

I know Kevin and others participating in the TurboGears project
have gotten the message that they need an Apache deployment option.
TurboGears is version 0.8a3 right now, so I can forgive this since
they haven't had an official production release yet.  (And python
makes it all too easy to write your own HTTP server--I think the
TurboGears folks took theirs mostly from CherryPy.)

But generally speaking, you have an excellent point.  I think
Apache is not daunting to set up for development, and that having
a built-in web server for each framework actually creates a
larger testing burden and perhaps a higher learning curve.  I
would like to see "here's how it runs in Apache with fast_cgi,
SCGI, and mod_python" as the standard introduction to all python
web frameworks, and have "if that doesn't work, here's our
built-in web server" as a last resort.

I should be a real open sourceror and figure it out for myself
with TurboGears, then give the recipe back to the project.  If
no one has done so by this weekend, I will give it a shot.

Matt Boersma
Array BioPharma, Inc.
Boulder, CO