[FRPythoneers] Pros & cons of Python HTTP servers

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Oct 17 09:00:27 MDT 2005

Hey, y'all--

It's been too long since anybody's posted to this list, so ...

Actually I have a somewhat serious question, though:

I've noticed that every time someone develops a Web development
framework/toolkit/whatever in Python, they seem to include a
Python-based HTTP server. Zope did it, 4Suite did too, and now
TurboGears. And I can't help wondering if that's really a good idea.

I understand, of course, that having a self-contained HTTP server can
make things much simpler for developers. But from the standpoints of
robustness, performance, and security, it seems like a bad idea to do
this in a production environment. Yet it doesn't seem that the
developers of these products discourage people from using their
hand-rolled servers in production, and sometimes they don't make it easy
or even possible to use their products with Apache.

Any thoughts on this issue, or relevant facts that people are aware of?

Comments appreciated.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA