[FRPythoneers] Just signed up. (testing)

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:14:56 MDT 2005

On 7/7/05, John M <jmul.py at gmail.com> wrote:
> Intro...
> I'm John and I've had a few programming classes in C++ and Java
> several years ago.  I'm currently trying to teach myself a little php
> for a small project at work.  It was suggested by someone on an irc
> php channel that I look into python just to get familiar with it.  I
> consider myself a newb so I hope my questions won't be too much of a
> bother.  If there is more of a newb mailing list I should be on then
> please let me know.

This is a fine place to ask questions - probably better than some of
the high volume places that are more likely to flame a newb.

If you are trying to learn PHP, I would recommend you just do it.
Learning two new langauges at the same time is a very difficult thing
to do.  Also, if you have some programming experience, the PHP
Cookbook by O'Reilly is a great intro that will get you productive in
a few hours.  On the other hand, Python is way more fun than PHP in my
experience, so if you are looking to have fun, go for Python.

One other idea: Jython.  If you remember much from Java or have an
interest in working with Java later, Jython is a great way to go.
Don't worry about Jython being dead - there was slow and hidden
progress over the last few years, but Brian Zimmer has taken up the
torch and is cruising along.

Regards,
Greg