[FRPythoneers] Determining berkeley version with bsddb

Andrew Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Mon Oct 11 12:02:36 MDT 2004

Folks,

I'm writing a script to convert some data from fastfile to berkely with
python 2.2.3 on RH 9.  The bsddb module is looking like just the thing,
and I can read and write to existing bdb files just fine.  It looks
like the db.h on the box is 4.2.52, but rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/include/db.h
gives me db4-devel-4.0.14-20, so I may have done something strange somewhere.

The kicker is the application that will be using the migrated files is built
with berkeley 3.2.9.  I'd like to be able to test to see what version
of berkeley python is really picking up.  According to this
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2002-July/012652.html)
there is no way to do this, and I haven't seen anything like db_version
in the pythond docs for bsddb.

Is there a way someone has figured out how to do this?  Or am I just
making much ado about nothing?

Thanks for the help.

--
Andrew Diederich