[FRPythoneers] Python unable to import readline during make (RH7.1)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 24 23:51:56 MDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:09:24AM +0530, Rahul Kumar wrote:
> i get this error while installing (running make) on Python-2.3.tgz on
> my home RedHat 7.1 system.

Any particular reason for the reluctance to upgrade to something that
was released this millenium?  ;-)

>  *** WARNING: renaming "readline" since importing it failed:
>  /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.1: undefined symbol: BC

The problem with running code that went gold in April of 2001, is that
there may be some compatibility problems with current software.  You
could try upgrading to a newer readline set of packages.

You can always come up with a surgical set of package upgrades to get an
old system to act more like a newer system.  As a consulting company, we
often do this for our customers.  We first make sure that there's really
a GOOD reason for not doing the upgrade, because the costs of
maintaining an older system with some newer software is usually more
than doing the upgrade to the newer software.

My first two suggestions would be to either try wedging a newer readline
in there, followed by investigating the Python readline module for BC
symbols and trying to forward-port the older Python readline module to
2.3.1.

 One person's data is another person's program.
                 -- Guy L. Steele, Jr.