[FRPythoneers] looking for help with elementtree

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Sat Jun 28 08:12:33 MDT 2003

> After reading in an element tree from XML, I get
> an element from the tree like this:
>
>     properties = tree.find('PROPERTIES')
>
> If I wrap properties in an ElementTree and write, the XML
> output is:
>
> <PROPERTIES><ENVELOPE minx="-106" maxx="-105" miny="40" maxy="41"/>
> ...</PROPERTIES>

[SNIP]

> however, I am not able to find the ENVELOPE element under
> PROPERTIES:
>
>      properties.find('ENVELOPE')
>
> returns None.
>
> How can find() return None when I am finding an element tagged
> 'ENVELOPE'
> when iterating over properties?

find() acts differently depending on the instance on which you invoke it.  See
if properties.getroot().find(path) does what you want.

Frankly, find() has always bewildered me.  And I think it's in a bit of flux
as /F works in his experimental XPath implementation.

XML Data Bindings in Python - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/06/11/py-xml.html
Introducing Examplotron - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-x
mptron/
Charming Jython - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jython.h