[FRPythoneers] popen

Mike Romberg romberg at fsl.noaa.gov
Tue Jun 17 16:57:10 MDT 2003

     > Hello pythoneers, My ultimate goal is to run an ssh session
     > programatically.  So I want to open a pipe and read/write
     > from/to it.  I can write but when I read the session hangs.
     > Here is an example using cat instead of ssh.

     > Hangs forever here.

     > It must be something very simple but I am stumped.  What am I
     > missing?

  I'm fairly sure that '^D' is not inserting what you think it is.  In
fact, I think you would use '\x04' to insert the ASCII control
character for ^D.  But... even this does not work on my redhat 8
system.  I think this might have something to do with that unicode
nonsense.  I was able to get cat shutdown by closing it's standard
input like this:

import popen2
ch = popen2.Popen4('cat')
ch.tochild.write('hello')
ch.tochild.write('goodbye\n')
ch.tochild.write('farewell\n')
ch.tochild.write('\x04')  # this did not seem to do it
ch.tochild.close()        # but this did
ch.fromchild.read()

Mike Romberg (romberg at fsl.noaa.gov)