[FRPythoneers] Python GUI Applications

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 2 13:02:45 MDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:55:09PM -0600, Bill Simons wrote:
>You didn't mention Python's default Tkinter GUI (don't know of any

Tkinter is certainly cross-platform, but the tools for building apps
with it are pretty scarce.  Once, a very long time ago, I used spectcl
with a perl back-end generator and then hand converted to Python.  I'd
be curious if there are any better GUI builders out there these days...

The benefit of Tkinter is that it's include in the stock Pythons and you
don't have to pick up anything else.

>builder tools, but I assume Tk must have a few).  Another good
>looking choice are wxWindows/wxPython which are free.  From playing
>around with it, the free BoaConstructor seems to be a good quality tool
>for wxPython.

I thought that project was dead?  It looks like in January there was a
CVS update, but there hasn't been much activity on it since 2001, and
never seemed to reach a stable release.  I tried it a few years ago and
it certainly felt like alpha software, as the status on Sourceforge
says...

I liked the idea, but it didn't seem to be making much progress.

 It is far from clear whether "good intentions plus stupidity" or "evil
 intentions plus intelligence" have wrought more harm in the world.
                 --- Domer, The Logic of Failure