[FRPythoneers] Python GUI Applications

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 2 12:56:57 MDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:39:05PM -0600, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>Do any of you have experience with Python GUI applications?  So far I
>found that there is Qt support (also commercial through Blackadder) and
>GTK support (pyglade).

I have built an application in pyglade and it was good at the time, but
I have found that keeping it running is an issue...  In particular, I
haven't been able to get the old application converted over to use
pygtk 2.x, so I've been carrying around these compatibility libraries
for the last year.

The next GUI I write is going to be in Qt, their GUI builder is
reasonable, and you can directly include python code in the handlers for
actions.  I built a test application with it and it looked pretty good.
qt-designer is the package on Red Hat/KRUD.

I've also tried wxWindows, but the builders I found didn't seem that
good...  I tried the wxDesigner demo, and IIRC I couldn't figure it out.

 With Microsoft you get Windows...  Linux gives you the whole house.
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/