[FRPythoneers] Considering programming our own school administration system in Python... need advise.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jul 10 22:08:26 MDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:00:26PM -0600, Brian Jarrett wrote:
>What it boils down to is this:  What does it MEAN to use an application
>server?  How do I use Zope to serve an application?  Why not just
>mod_python in Apache?

Think of it like the Linux kernel for your applications.  It provides
services allowing your applications to work such that they don't have to
do a lot of low-level stuff.

>Personally, I don't like the whole DTML language.  I'm definitely more
>at home using a language to generate HTML or maybe XML dynamically.

Zope is moving towards "ZPT" or "TAL", which is also what JOTWeb uses.
You can use ZPT/TAL instead of DTML if you prefer to stay away from DTML
(for good reason).  I found that TAL was quite a lot easier to deal
with.

If you want to use a programming language to build HTML or XML, you
probably want to use Quixote.  That's one of the things I don't like
about Quixote, I think the template and logic separation leads to more
maintainable systems, but that's a preference thing.

 This must be where pies go when they die...
                 -- Special Agent Cooper, _Twin_Peaks_