[FRPythoneers] Considering programming our own school administration system in Python... need advise.

Brian Jarrett bjarrett at garcoschools.org
Thu Jul 10 22:00:26 MDT 2003

>Zope is an application server.  Almost any kind of web app you can
>dream up.

Hmmm... maybe you've hit on something here.  I think I'm having trouble coming to grips with the idea of an application server in general.  I also haven't really seen anything in the Zope documentation that would clue me in.

Most of the stuff I see basically covers how to use object-oriented concepts to handle dynamic web content (you know, documents, news, etc.  -- more of the cmf stuff) which I can understand.

What it boils down to is this:  What does it MEAN to use an application server?  How do I use Zope to serve an application?  Why not just mod_python in Apache?

Personally, I don't like the whole DTML language.  I'm definitely more at home using a language to generate HTML or maybe XML dynamically.

Any further enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks for the responses.