[FRPythoneers] Considering programming our own school administration system in Python... need advise.

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Thu Jul 10 18:17:56 MDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 03:11  PM, Brian Jarrett wrote:

>> "District administration" is a term specific to your application.
>
> Well, I work for a school district, and this software would help
> handle the administration of students-- keeping track of attendance,
> grades, etc.  I used the term "district administration" to try to get
> people to understand what sorts of data I need to store.  Zope is for
> content management of web sites.  I want an application to handle our
> district's administration that I think would work well as a web app.
> I'm thinking there is a difference here.

Brian,

Zope is an application server.  Almost any kind of web app you can
dream up.  I've used Zope for a very nice administrative interface
to a massive aerial photography processing system and as an
administrative interface to another distributed imagery processing
and order fulfillment system (that I wrote in Perl, wish I could
start from scratch on that).  Like the other Sean (I supposed I
am really "the other Sean") said, Zope has a steep learning curve.
I, however, stuck with it and find it to be super useful.

cheers,
Gillies

--
Sean Gillies