[FRPythoneers] Considering programming our own school administration system in Python... need advise.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jul 10 16:24:03 MDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:36:13AM -0700, Don Hillmuth wrote:
>Consider Zope - www.zope.org.

I'd recommend considering something else...  Of course, this won't come
as any suprise to anyone who's noticed that I recently announced that I
have built my own web development framework.  Let me tell you why I
couldn't work with Zope.

Note that Zope version 3 is supposed to address a lot of these problems,
and in fact I've been told that my project (JOTWeb,
http://jotweb.tummy.com/) is a lot like what Zope3 is going to be.
However, I don't expect that Zope3 will be out and really useable for
another year, if not longer (particularly if they don't get good
documentation out early).

I spent quite a lot of time trying to build a web project in Zope about
a year ago, and after spending much of 2 weeks learning Zope I really
wasn't getting anywhere.  Zope is really easy to set up simple sites
with.  However, they don't scale very well, from a complexity
standpoint.  Small increases in complexity in the site require fairly
large investments in learning.

I also have problems with the Through The Web development.  There's also
FTP and DAV interfaces, but I've had little luck with getting them to
work reliably.  For example, I had to make one simple text replacement
in about 30 documents.  I tried using DAV, but the results were files
with the wrong content-type.

If I were to pick another web application development system, it'd
probably be Albatross.  Though I'd recommend you see the discussion I
had with a few Albatross folks on comp.lang.python over the last few
weeks before doing so.  The documentation on their site isn't really
complete enough, so it looks much harder than it apparently is to build
web applications in Albatross.

Of course, one of problems with other web systems which I specifically
addressed in JOTWeb was the poor documentation in other systems.  I've
spent as much (or more) time writing documentation as I have writing
code.

 "No more rhymes now, I mean it!"  "Anybody want a peanut?"
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/