[FRPythoneers] Considering programming our own school administration system in Python... need advise.

efm at tummy.com efm at tummy.com
Thu Jul 10 14:48:16 MDT 2003

* On 2003-07-10 14:43 Brian Jarrett <bjarrett at garcoschools.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses so far...
>
> I'm actually going to use Zope (or maybe Plone) for our Extranet/Intranet needs, but there is nothing that I've seen to handle district administration.  Isn't the database that comes with Zope meant for web objects?  Is it capable of SQL or traditional RDB foreign keys, etc?  I guess I've gotten the impression that it's pretty kludgy as a DB.

Zope has a built in object database which is very nice for storing things.

Zope also has connectors for many popular databases, such as Postgres. So
you can run SQL queries against a regular database from within Zope.

"District administration" is a term specific to your application.

> I've actually heard that Firebird is a good SQL database, with support for stored procudures and triggers.  Would Python work well (and run fast with) something like this?

Why do you want stored procedures and triggers?

                            http://www.tummy.com/