[FRPythoneers] Fw: [gentoo-user] Re: Python 2.3

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 06:55:04 MST 2003

More info for Matt.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:48:14 -0800
From: Keith Dart <kdart at kdart.com>
To: gentoo-user at gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Python 2.3

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 14:25, Tom Eastman wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:25, RoT wrote:
> > just do what I did and emerge python 2.3 but keep the 'python' symlink in
> > /usr/lib pointing to 2.2. It just means that when you want to invoke 2.3
> > you will need to specifically type 'python2.3' but portage and the like
> > will still use 2.2.
>
> Sounds like a good plan to me.  :-)
>
> I guess the main worry is that I don't want it to automatically *unmerge*
> python 2.2 and thus break portage.  The two packages are in different SLOTs
> at least, so hopefully that won't happen.
>
> However... any idea what happens to all the third party modules in the
> site-packages/ directory?

Each version gets different sets (in /usr/lib/python2.2/ and
/usr/lib/python2.3/ ) You will also have to re-install all third-party
modules. Before you do that, change the python symlink to point to
python2.3, then change it back when you are done.

HTH,

--
Keith Dart

Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the
worries of tomorrow, you have no today to be thankful for.