[FRPythoneers] blue-collar python

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Fri Aug 29 08:44:19 MDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 at 13:19 -0700, demian neidetcher soliloquized thusly:
 > altho it's not a very glamorous use of python, i'm
 > curious about who is using python to generate code?
 >
 > i have used it to generate java code directly from DB
 > schemas.  i also have it nicely integrated with my
 > editor (vim of course) to generate and otherwise
 > manipulate code.
 >
 > http://www.ophinity.com/papers/wrangling/index.html
 >
 > i'm reading the fowler book on enterprise patterns.
 > in passing, he mentions looking at his python and ruby
 > scripts to see what patterns he uses when generating
 > code from DB schemas.
 >
 > i also recall reading 'the pragmatic programmer' where
 > they recommend using python and ruby for
 > code-generation.
 >
 > so do you guys use python (or even jython) to generate
 > code?

I have used Python to dynamically generate PL/SQL which was then sent to
Oracle via cx_oracle.

When the question arose about the maximum length of Python modules, I wrote
a 1 liner to generate a 100,000 line module.

I have also written code generators in other languages.

Bob Gailer
bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625