[FRPythoneers] blue-collar python

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 28 14:30:13 MDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:19:05PM -0700, demian neidetcher wrote:
>altho it's not a very glamorous use of python, i'm
>curious about who is using python to generate code?

I just wrote some code this weekend that processed a comma-separated
file and generated a dictionary of the data within it.  Perhaps not as
advanced as what you are doing, but similar sort of idea.

It ended up taking significant time to load the dictionary, even once it
was pre-compiled, so I decided to finally just build a db file of the
data and use that.

Other than that, I haven't really done a lot of code that builds other
code in Python.

>schemas.  i also have it nicely integrated with my
>editor (vim of course) to generate and otherwise
>manipulate code.

I've been really happy with using python in vim.  I have a number of
extensions for doing things like updating serials in DNS zone files,
finding the beginning and end of blocks of python code, trying to figure
out wether to use tabs or spaces for indentation of Python code (based
on what's already there), etc...  It works quite well.

 Canadian phone sex: What colour touque are you wearing?
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/