[FRPythoneers] Python seminar/casual conference suggestion

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Wed Mar 6 17:09:49 MST 2002

Evelyn Mitchell <efm at tummy.com> writes:

> There has been a fair bit of discussion of holding a YAPC (Yet Another
> Perl Conference) type event in addition to the main annual conference.
> A YAPC is low-cost, high-volunteer, high-fun, casual and interesting.
> On the venue side, to keep costs down, we'll probably want to do this
> at CU, DU or CSU. There's a list of requirements for venues at:
> http://www.yapc.org/venue-reqs.txt
> Does anyone have a faculty or staff contact at any of these universities
> who could help in small ways to smooth the venue work?

This is a good time to note that the construction of the University
Memorial Center (UMC, or student center) at CU-Boulder is nearing
completion, and they've got some nice large rooms.  I could look into
the cost of reserving them, and see what we'd be looking at.

I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be free, unless it were organized by a
campus student group, which would be difficult to pull off since I'd
have a hard time pointing at a roomful of python programmers to say,
"It's a student group!  Really it is!"

I can try to sift through the professors I know to find someone to
help with this, though.  Rather than immediately volunteering for
anything that seems in the slightest bit interesting, I should stop
and think about my schedule a bit.  Isn't volunteerism grand?

Got a target weekend I should ask about?

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility