[FRPythoneers] To Zope or not to Zope

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Mar 2 12:15:56 MST 2002

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 10:48:19AM -0800, Karl Putland wrote:
>What is the current feeling about Zope's abilities?

If you have experience using Zope and are comfortable with it, it's
probably a good way to go if you're trying to make web-driven apps.  I'm
finding it very hard to get into though, and am a bit disappointed at my
level of comfort with Zope considering I've spent more time learning it
than I would have developing the hackingsociety.org pages I want out of
straight Python...

CMF and ZPT seem to be the way of the future, if you've been out of Zope
for a while...

>I'm considering purchasing a new laptop to run linux.
>Anyone seen or heard about people using Crusoe based
>notebooks?  If so any issues?  If not any recomendations?

I'm hoping that by the time I need my next laptop there will be a Crusoe
alternative.  Currently they're putting that CPU in mostly *REALLY* tiny
(unusably tiny, IMHO) laptops.  Evelyn, Kevin, and I all use our laptops as
our primary machines, with CVS repositories and the like on a shared
server.  Desktops are mostly a thing of the past for us.

None of the Crusoe laptops I've seen I really felt could fit the bill.
They usually have VERY small displays and keyboards.  I think our X20s are
quite portable, I carry mine with me everywhere.  Yet they have great
keyboards and reasonable displays.

I'd like my next laptop to be about the same size as this one I currently
use, with a Crusoe.  If they can make them so small, fill up the extra
space with more battery capacity, thanks...  I'd love something that get
around 8 hours on a charge.

 Let's just say that their monkeys aren't quite typing Shakespeare.
   -- Sean Reifschneider, speaking about Quicken support, 2001