[FRPythoneers] Python Crypto for Red Hat?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Mar 1 09:52:52 MST 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:23:58PM -0700, Rob Riggs wrote:
>This last exchange on SSL reminded me of a question I had for this
>group: what ever happened to openssl-python??? That's no longer included
>in the Red Hat distribution. Is there a standard Python crypto library?

The problem is that the OpenSSL that RedHat ships doesn't include RC5 or
IDEA because of patent issues with them.  Therefore, M2Crypto won't
function when you use the Red Hat RPM.

You should be able to build OpenSSL from the tar file provided on the
openssl site, then use the M2Crypto RPM.  Unfortunately, that probably
results in patent infringement.

It would be nice if there were an M2Crypto that didn't include RC5 and
IDEA, or could be built without it...  I haven't had a chance to do that
though.

 A "fuddish" is when you *REALLY* like Looney Toons.