[FRPythoneers] New person's question

Mike Olson Mike.Olson at fourthought.com
Thu Jul 18 11:52:16 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 11:58, David Graham wrote:
> OK:
>
> I am probably doing something stupid here.  But I can make a class and
> run it from a script if the class and the script are in the same file.
>  But when I seporate the class into it's own file, the file compiles ok,
> but I keep getting the following error.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./test_session.py", line 16, in ?
>     session = igor_session()
> TypeError: object is not callable: <module 'igor_session' from
> './igor_session.pyc'>
>
> What am i missing when I seporate the two into seporate files?

I'm assuming that the name of the module is igor_session and it contains
a class in it called igor_session.

If so then you probalbe have something like
import igor_session
session = igor_session()

In this case, the variable is a module (what import puts in the global
namespace).  The module has attributes on them, one being your class.
to access it you would do something like

session = igor_session.igor_session()

The first igor_session is the module, and the second is the class
defined in that module.  FYI, you can take this indefinitly farther, you
can access a method on the class like

igor_session.igor_session.some_method_on_class

and so on and so on assuming that what ever you are accessing has
attributes.

Does that help?
Mike