[FRPythoneers] Using vi with Zope?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 31 16:15:44 MST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 04:08:31PM -0700, quent wrote:
>That looks *way* cool :)
>I haven't learned much about DAV yet, but I'm intrigued by the 'V' part of it.

You can also use DAV via Apache:

   guin:jafo# mount.davfs http://localhost/ /mnt/dav2
   guin:jafo# ls /mnt/dav2
   index.html*  newtest.html*  poweredby.png*  usage/    vhtest2/
   manual/      postgres/      python/         vhtest1/  vhtest3/

If you're running a recent KRUD, just make sure you have "mod_dav"
installed (krudfind -viI mod_dav), and do the following:

   mkdir /var/lock/apache/DAVLock
   chown apache:apache /var/lock/apache/DAVLock
   <edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf>
   Above the line "<Directory "/var/www/html">" add:
      DAVLockDB /var/lock/apache/DAVLock
   Below the line "<Directory "/var/www/html">" add:
      DAV On
   <save>
   service httpd restart

Then pick up davfs, install it, and do the mount.davfs command above...
You'll have read-only access to the Apache DAV.

For Zope, I added "-W 8081" to my Zope start script, re-started it, and
then am able to mount it using:

   mount.davfs http://localhost:8081/ /mnt/dav -u jafo -p mypassword

Again, the big problem in DAV is that you can't directly edit certain types
of objects (like ZSQL stuff).  You also can't, as far as I can tell, modify
the title that way.  So, you will have to do SOME stuff in the TTW
interface, but I'll be HAPPY if I can edit most things with vi.

 A computer scientist is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell," sees the
 "go to," rather than the destination, as harmful. -- Dr. Roger M. Firestone